Our collection just keeps getting bigger!

Questia has just added over 2,000 new book titles to its collection. Check out these featured books that we have made free for a limited time.

Want to see more? Get full access to these books and more by joining Questia today!
Click here to see a complete listing of all the newly added book titles.

"Spying Blind: The CIA, the FBI, and the Origins of 9/11" By: Amy B. Zegart

"Spying Blind: The CIA, the FBI, and the Origins of 9/11" By: Amy B. Zegart

"The Road to Dallas: The Assassination of John F. Kennedy" By: David Kaiser

"The Road to Dallas: The Assassination of John F. Kennedy" By: David Kaiser

"Brain Sense: The Science of the Senses and How We Process the World Around Us" By: Faith Hickman Brynie

"Scorsese by Ebert" By: Roger Ebert

"Scorsese by Ebert" By: Roger Ebert

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged , , , | 32 Comments

32 Responses to Our collection just keeps getting bigger!

1. Graham Anassah Morgan says:

Thanks for the information on the update of the library books.

I would appreciate if you can upload Science books especially Nursing Journals or any other related articles on Health..Since I am a Science student udertaking Nursing, I am much in need of some Nursing Journals to do my research..

Your help would be appreciated and am looking forword to hear from you

Yours Faithfully,

Graham A Morgan

2. ferl says:

can you please include books about veterinary medicine.
    having a really hard time to get some here in our place.,thank you so much.,!
    more power and God bless!

3. hashem says:

thank for youe good efferts. I wished, i could download some books.

4. Larry says:

I would like see more books about American history, especially old books (1850-1950). I also appreciate “new studies” published recently (1950-2012). I would like see the complete 10 Volume-set of George Bancroft’s History of the United States, particularly. Some questions: why works in volumes are often not complete? Are missing volumes planned for the future? Thanks, because Questia has changed my life and method as a student and researcher. Long life to Questia!

• Gary Jeppsen - Senior Product Manager of Questia says:

Larry, regarding your inquiry on George Bancroft’s History of the United States, we are in the process of acquiring that complete volume set. In general, our volume sets are assembled based on the volumes we are able to acquire and user interest. We handle these on a case-by-case basis. If there are specific volumes of interest to you, please provide us with that feedback so we can take that into consideration with our content review. Thank you.

• Larry says:

Hello, Gary. A big news, about Bancroft, indeed. Yes, I’m thinking of other titles very important for my future feedbacks here. Thanks.

5. Larry says:

Please, I have some suggestions. In “History” – “Categories” – “Unites States History” – “U.S. States and Cities”: not all the 50 States are present with a ‘general history’. For example: to search “South Dakota history” you must go on “North Dakota history’. It would be wonderful if “all the 50 States” had its “general history’, such as “History of …”, with this ‘specific’ title, I mean.

• Gary Jeppsen - Senior Product Manager of Questia says:

Thank you for the suggestion. We create categories based upon user interest and editorial review as a summary of books and articles that support it. Please keep in mind that if we do not have a category topic displayed, we still are likely have books or articles about that topic. For example, as you discovered, we don’t have a category specific to South Dakota. However, entering South Dakota into our search engine generates hundreds of results. Thank you again for the feedback. Please keep it coming. We appreciate it.

• Larry says:

Hello, Gary. Yes, I usually use the so-called ‘General Engine’ and, above all, ‘Advanced Research’. You said: “Please, keep it coming”. I wonder: are my suggestions important about new titles to add to the library? Ok, if you like, I’m ready to give you other titles for the future. Another question. About zoom (+) there are only ‘two levels’ on the page now. Well, we need a third one at least: characters are too small sometimes; (not only HTML format on old books, but alto on BETA format of new books); I’m saying that as an improvement of the site. Thanks.

6. Larry says:

Hello. As you know, the authors mentioned here are the “cream” of the United States culture, so important that 1960’s, and 70’s historians wrote their books on the basis of the works of these “scholars”. Here is a list of titles and authors for the library: “Formation of the Union, 1750-1829”, by Albert Bushnell Hart, professor at Harvard — “Annals of America” (Vol. 2; Vol. 1 already present on Questia), by Abiel Holmes, a congregational clergyman from Yale College — “History of Historical Writing in America”, four lectures delivered by Dr. John Franklin Jameson (also president of the American Historical Association) at Brown University in 1891, very important for historians and researchers, and for the study of historical writing in America — “The Colonies, 1492-1750”, by Reuben Gold Thwaites, secretary of the Wisconsin Historical Society, who, with Frederick Jackson Turner, Louise P. Kellogg, and Frederig Austin Ogg, belonged to the so-called “Wisconsin school” (there was a “rivalry” between them and the “New Englanders” about writing history because the latter didn’t write about the Mississippi and Ohio Valleys history at that time), the latter two already present on Questia — Francis Parkman’s works (four works only on Questia: “The Conspiracy of Pontiac”, “Jesuits in North America in the Seventeenth Century”, “Pioneers of France in the New World” and “The Oregon Trail”), but there are others belonging to this “western series”, such us:; “La Salle and the Discovery of the Great West; “The Old Régime in Canada”; “Count Frontenac and New France under Louis XIV”; “Montcalm and Wolfe”; “Half Century of Conflict”, Vols. 1 and 2; “The Journals of Francis Parkman”, (2 Vols.); “The Letters of Francis Parkman”, (2 Vols.); “History of the United States”, 6 Vols. by Elisha Benjamin Andrews, president of Brown University; “History of the United States”, 6 Vols. by Edward Channing, professor at Harvard (Vols. 1 and 2 already on Questia). “Our Whole Country”, by John Warner Barber, an American engraver (2 Vols.); “History of New England”, (5 Vols., but Vol. 1 already present on Questia), by John Gorham Palfrey, a clergyman and U.S. Representative from Massachusetts. These are only some “suggestions of mine”, of course. Thanks.

7. Larry (Lorenzo) says:

Hello, yesterday, in my feedback, I have forgotten another “great” of the ” academic world of the United States”: Columbia University professor Evarts Boutell Greene and his “The Foundations of American Nationality”. Vol. 1 is already present on Questia, but not Vol. 2. I’m also thinking of titles about Western Literature. I have seen some titles of Zane Grey’s (the most famous Western author — very few), but it would be wonderful see more. However, there is another “great author” to take into consideration: Ernest Haycox. Who is he? Well, the biggest author in the United States. “John Ford and John Wayne would not exist without Ernest Haycox!” Why? Well, when in the 1880′s Guy de Maupassant wrote “Boule-the-Suif”, Ernest Haycox, born in Portland, Oregon, was inspired by it and he wrote “Stage to Lordsburg”; John Ford and John Wayne were inspired by “Stage to Lordsburg”, so “Stagecoach” (the movie) was based on this short-story. At this point, it would be wonderful see some works of Ernest Haycox. Thanks.

8. Larry (Lorenzo Bernardotto - It.) says:

Other titles by Carl Lotus Becker, professor at Cornell University, not present on Questia: “The Beginnings of American People”; “Our Great Experiment in Democracy” — John Fiske, the great philosopher; works wanted: “The Dutch and Quaker Colonies in America” (Vol. 1 only present on Questia, but not Vol. 2); “The Beginnings of New England”; “The Discovery of America (2 Vols.); “Old Virginia and Her Neighbors” — Charles McLean Andrews, professor at Yale and Johns Hopkins universities: the series is almost complete on Questia, but there is not “The Colonial Period of American History” (4 Vols.), his masterpiece. I want to say these authors (in this message and in my previous ones as LARRY) are often mentioned in “modern” American history journals and articles. I think the epoch between 1850′s and 1930′s has been legendary about American history writing and literature. Some modern historians think they were “a little nationalist” in thought and writing, but, in my opinion, it’s normal, because some of them lived in a nationalist epoch. But they are still a “point of reference” for present scholars to understand the matter. Of course, it’s only my personal opinion for a man, like me, who is a small author of Western short-stories (they aren’t important and not publishable), and a small student very keen on American history. Indeed, I have been devoting my entire life to the United States (I began my personal studies in 1976, at the age of 17).

9. Gary Jeppsen - Senior Product Manager of Questia says:

Larry, thank you for taking the time to share your suggestions. We will take them into consideration when we review our library content, which we do periodically throughout the year. Users like you help us make Questia better. We really appreciate it.

• Larry (Lorenzo Bernardotto - It.) says:

Ok, Gary. I’m happy to share my suggestions with you and your staff. If I have new titles I will give you them in the future. Thanks.

10. Larry (Lorenzo Bernardotto - It.) says:

Two titles: “The American Revolution in Indian Country”, by Colin G. Calloway, professor at Dartmouth College. “Great Epochs in American History” (10 Vols.), by Francis W. Halsey, a journalist, editor, and historian.

11. Larry (Lorenzo Bernardotto - It.) says:

Professor Gordon S. Wood is a great modern professor at Brown University. One book only of him on Questia: (“A Matter of Interpretation: Federal Courts and the Law: An Essay”). But there are other titles very important about American history such as: “The Creation of the American Republic”, “Representation in the American Revolution”; “The Rising Glory of America, 1760-1820″; “The Confederation and the Constitution”; “Revolution and the Political Integration of the Enslaved and Disenfranchised”; “Leadership in the American Revolution”; “Social Radicalism and the Idea of Equality in the American Revolution”; “The Great Republic”; “The Making of the Constitution”; “The Radicalism of the American Revolution”; “Russian-American Dialogue on the American Revolution”; “Creation of the American Republic: 1776-1787″; “Imagined Histories: American Historians Interpret the Past”; “Monarchism and Republicanism in the Early United States”; “The American Revolution: A History”; “The Americanization of Benjamin Franklin”; “Revolutionary Characters: What Made the Founders Different”; “The Purpose of the Past: Reflections on the Uses of History”; “Empire of Liberty: A History of the Early Republic, 1789-1815″. It would be interesting this series on Questia.

12. Larry (Lorenzo Bernardotto - It.) says:

Richard White is a modern historian, President of the Organization of American Historians and Professor at Stanford University. Two titles: “The Middle Ground: Indians, Empires, and Republics in the Great Lakes Region, 1650-1815″ (his most famous one), and “It’s Your Misfortune and None of My Own: A History of the American West”.

13. Larry (Lorenzo Bernardotto - It.) says:

Gary Nash is an historian of the Revolutionary period and Professor at UCLA (University of California, Los Angeles). Some titles of him: “Quakers and Politics: Pennsylvania, 1681-1726″, “Class and Society in Early America”, “Red, White, and Black: The Peoples of Early America”; “The Private Side of American History: Readings in Everyday Life”, “The Urban Crucible: Social Change, Political Consciousness, and the Origins of the American Revolution”; “Race, Class, and Politics: Essays on American Colonial and Revolutionary Society”; “Forging Freedom: The Formation of Philadelphia’s Black Community 1720-1840″; “Race and Revolution: The Inaugural Merrill Jensen Lectures”; “First City: “Philadelphia and the Forging of Historical Memory”; “The Unknown American Revolution: The Unruly Birth of Democracy and the Struggle to Create America”.

14. Larry (Lorenzo Bernardotto - It.) says:

Jared Sparks was an historian and President of Harvard University. His most famous work is “The Diplomatic Correspondence of the American Revolution” (12 Vols.).

15. Larry (Lorenzo Bernardotto - It.) says:

Francis Jennings, historian and teacher at Cedar Crest College. One of his titles not on Questia: “Invasion of America: Indians, Colonialism, and the Cant of Conquest”.

16. Larry (Lorenzo Bernardotto - It.) says:

I like the new Questia system. Only that … why some works have been deleted? Is it due to copyright or technical problems? Thanks.

17. Larry (Lorenzo Bernardotto - It.) says:

American literature. I have seen A. B. Guthrie on Questia (“Montana, High, Wide, and Handsome”, but this author is famous for his “The Big Sky”, where a boy from Kentucky leaves his native place and goes west. He becomes a mountain man. It’s a great book, in my opinion, where events and, above all, nature, are described in a wonderful way. A great classic Western. I have my Italian paper copy and version, but I recommend an English version for other readers on Questia.

18. Larry (Lorenzo Bernardotto - It.) says:

I was thinking of Laura Ingalls Wilder and her “Little House” tales. Yes, it’s children literature, but it also contains a wide passage of American tradition and history of the so-called “Old Northwest” (present Northwest Territory — Wisconsin and Minnesota, particularly).

19. Larry (Lorenzo Bernardotto - It.) says:

There is a book I want to mention: “Howard Zinn on War, Terrorism and War”. It’s a collection of essays and journal articles Professor Zinn, who was political science professor at Boston University, about the “absurdity” of all the wars in the world and terrorism. I think this book is very thoughtful.

20. Larry (Lorenzo Bernardotto - It.) says:

Robert Leckie, knows military history very well. During WWII, he entered the United States Marine Corps and served in the Pacific theater. There are three books of his which deserve to appear on Questia Library, in my opinion: 1) “George Washington’s War: The Saga of the American Revolution”; 2) “From Sea to Shining Sea: From the War of 1812 to the Mexican-American War, the Saga of America’s Expansion”; and 3) “The Wars of America: From 1600 to 1900″ (2 Vols.). The first one, is the long political and military history of the American Revolution; it contains all the main battles and small skirmishes, as well as, biographical sketches of the main political and military leaders. The second one, deals with the Barbary Wars against Algeria and Libya (ca. 1805-1816), the War of 1812 (1812-1814) which scholars also call “The Second American War of Independence”, and the Mexican War (1846-1848), which marks the so-called “Manifest Destiny” of the United States, that is, the territorial expansion from the Mississippi Valley to the West Coast, and western territories. The third one, is a compedium of the books above-mentioned. Very in-depth works! A scholar must have these books in his personal library!

21. Larry (Lorenzo Bernardotto - It.) says:

Denis Lacorne, is a French author and historian. He is the director of Fondation Nationale des Sciences Politiques and wrote two books about the United States: 1) “La Crise de L’Identité Américaine”, and 2) “Le Modèle Américain”. In “La Crise de L’Identité Américaine”, he says: “The United States are an immigrant country by tradition where a plurality of ethnic groups meet one another. But there is the problem of violence, exclusion, racism, and xenophobia.” According to a critic, this is a paradox, because, being the United States a nation split socially, they have an amazing capability of social integration. Lacorne, analyzes, through three centuries of American multiculturalism, these questions in his book, namely: tolerance, refusal of foreigners, and cohabitation among different cultures.

22. Larry (Lorenzo Bernardotto - It.) says:

Robert D. Putnam, is a professor of political science at Harvard University. His book, “Bowling alone. The Collapse and Revival of American Community” is very controversial because it deals with the collapse in civic, social, associational and political life in the United States. He calls all that “social capital”. In his opinion, this “collapse” began in the 1960’s. In his book, he analyzes the “social change” and the “quality of democracy”.

23. Larry (Lorenzo Bernardotto - It.) says:

I was thinking of … “America”, written by Alistair Cooke. As a 53-years-old, I have my 1976-Italian edition, but I think it would be useful find it on Questia for other users. Indeed, when I write these messages, I also think “not only of myself, but also of other readers” who possibly like the subject. Alistair Cooke, was a BBC correspondent who lived in the United States in the 1940′s. “America”, is only a “general history” of the United States, but, I think, young generation could start their “literary course”, along their life, to “follow the subject”, I mean. “America”, is very engaging and well-written, and I read it just in 1976, when I was 17. It has been the “one of the first books in my life”. “America” also contains many pictures. As usual, it begins with Columbus’s voyages and comes to the Vietnam War and early 1970′s. (I don’t know if there are up-to-date editions). But I recommend it.

24. Larry (Lorenzo Bernardotto - It.) says:

Peter Burke, a British historian and professor, is one of the most authoritative European historians. His book “History and Social Theory” deserves attention.

25. Larry (Lorenzo Bernardotto - It.) says:

Ian K. Steele, author of “Warpath – Invasions of North America”, has written another work. It’s entitled “The English Atlantic, 1675-1740″. This work deals with the English Atlantic context of early American life; Caribbean and the ice-locked Hudson Bay maritime communications; the political, economic, and social integration of the English Atlantic between 1675 and 1740; a description of the influence of physical, technological, socioeconomic, and political aspects of seaborne communication on the community. A new analysis of Colonial history.

26. Larry (Lorenzo Bernardotto - It.) says:

Robert Olwell and Alan Tully, are two professors of early American history at the University of Texas, Austin. They edited a book entitled “Cultures and Identities in Colonial British America”. It deals with the development of American society. Scholars thinks this work is very useful for students in this discipline. It belongs to a three-volume series edited by Jack P. Greene.

27. Larry (Lorenzo Bernardotto - It.) says:

I would like suggest this book: “Indians and British Outposts in Eighteenth-Century America” (2012), by Daniel Ingram. This books give us a new perspective about the British forts in colonial America. The author sees them more as “communities” than as “military outposts” in indian country. There was a good relation between Indians and soldiers who lived inside these forts and there was also a kind of “economic e social life” between the “two groups”. This meant “security”. Ingram also used British official records to write his book, but he also covered archaeology and ethnography. He analyzed five forts and they were influenced by the Native Americans very much.